Permanent Makeup Treatment FAQ
Are you a candidate for the best permanent make-up treatments near you?
Microblading is a semi permanent makeup technique where pigment is implanted into the dermal layer of your skin. This gives you great results like hair strokes. You can have brows that are unique to both you and your desired look. It is one of the only semi permanent makeup techniques that will last up to 3 years even with the most rigorous activities
No, unfortunately permanent make-up is not for everyone. A PPL Studio permanent make-up artist will be able to review your medical history and determine if you are a good candidate. Here are a few reasons that permanent make-up may not be good for you at the immediate time. For some reasons you can simply book well in advance.
- Using Accutane
- Have heart conditions or using heart medications (will require a physician’s note)
- Have diabetes (will require a physician’s note)
- Have skin disease or irritations
- Have had Botox in the last 2 weeks
- Have gotten a deep tan or chemical peels in the last 2 weeks
- Allergic to lidocaine, prilocaine, benzocaine, tetracaine or epinephrine
- Anyone who has any serious medical conditions may require a physician’s note.
- Nursing clients who want to get Microblading can be done at your own discretion. We suggest discussing with your doctor first. Microblading is still considered a tattoo, and just like with wine or sushi consumption, it is a personal choice to do so during this period.
* We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who we deem not suitable for this procedure or for any other reason. Our brow technicians make the decision to microblade an individual based on their own discretion. *
Eyebrow Microblading is a cosmetic tattoo technique used to create the look of hairlike strokes with a special microblading instrument. Microblading is done manually, not with a machine for best results. The manual instrument can vary in shape and needle count which will allow your PPL Studio artist to provide a look unique to each individual set of brows.
After your initial appointment a follow-up is REQUIRED in 4-8 weeks to perfect your look by adding pigment as needed, adjusting shape, and correcting color as needed. As with all permanent make-up procedures touch-ups are suggested every 12-18 months to maintain maximum flawlessness.
Ombré Brows are also known as Powder Brows or Shaded Brows is a permanent make-up procedure where pigment is inserted into the top layers of skin using a permanent make-up machine pen.
This technique differs from Microblading in that we create a misty, powder filled brow resembling the look of makeup application, or a fresh eyebrow tint for you Divas who prefer the look of wearing make up. The tails of the brow are darker, and as you move towards the front of the brow it starts to fade. The effects will be waterproof and smudge-proof.
It lasts longer than Microblading, typically around 2 years on average. Results are not determined until touch-up application is completed. After your initial appointment a follow-up is REQUIRED in 4-8 weeks to perfect your look by adding pigment as needed, adjusting shape, and correcting color as needed. As with all permanent make-up procedures touch-ups are suggested every 18-24 months to maintain maximum flawlessness.
Microblading and Ombré Power Brow
For the first Microblading and Ombré Power Brow session, the entire procedure should take about 2.5-3.5 hours. During this session a PPL Studio artist will shape and style your brows so you can approve them. We then follow with pigment color selection. Upon satisfaction with the choices, we begin the procedure.
The 4-8 week Required perfecting follow-up session for Microblading and Ombré Powder Brows will take approximately 1.5-2 hours to complete.
Permanent Lipstick Blushing
Initial lipstick blushing session takes 3-4 hours. Pigment is placed using a permanent-make up machine pen in the lip outline as well as the middle of the lips.
The 4-8 week Required perfecting follow-up session for Permanent Lipstick Blushing will take approximately 1-1.5 hours to complete.
Initial Platinum Eyeliner sessions take 1.5-2.5 hours depending on if you are getting the upper, lower, or both lash lines done.
The 4-8 week Required perfecting follow-up session for Platinum Eyeliner will take approximately 1-1.5 hours to complete.
*All procedures require annual follow-up appointments every 12-18 months.
Healing time varies for everyone but it takes approximately 7-14 days for the brows to heal over, and about 1 month for the color to fully set in. You’ll notice the color is first dark about 2 days following the procedure then light right after two weeks of healing; the skin will have an opaque milky looking quality to it. This is known as the milk skin and is common in tattooing. It is due to the the tissue still healing from the inside out even though the surface of the skin is healed. The color will fade by up to 40% as it heals. True color will reveal itself once healed.
In the days following the procedure you will also notice slight scabbing. Do not pick at the scabs as this may damage the skin and the outcome. During healing it is imperative to keep the area dry, NO MOISTURE! A very thin layer of aftercare ointment can aid itching and provide relief during healing.
No, the skin needs time for a full exfoliation and pigment needs this time to fully settle in the skin. The wait time also prevents scar damage as the tissue requires time to completely heal.
Permanent Make-up Procedures are cosmetic tattoos with that being said everyone’s threshold for pain is different but needles are piercing your skin. An element of pain should be expected. We do use numbing agents to assist with pain which may contain lidocaine, prilocaine, benzocaine, tetracaine and epinepherine.
After the procedure sensitivity, redness, and light swelling in the area is normal. Some may equate the feeling to that of being sunburned. If necessary you can take Tylenol for comfort but not aspirin or ibuprofen.
During permanent make-up procedures pigments are not implanted into the skin as deep as traditional tattoos therefore the area will naturally fade overtime. Permanent make-up procedures can typically lasts 1-3 years, depending on skin type (normal, oily, dry), age (youthful/mature). Skincare routine will also affect the lasting effect of the pigment: tanning, products with AHA or Glycolic Acid with fade faster as your skin will resurface faster. Each individual’s color retention within the skin will vary. To maintain your flawless platinum look, a touch up is suggested every 12-18 months.
In order to achieve the best results, it is best to follow pre-care instructions.
- Avoid alcohol and aspirin/ibuprofen and any vitamins that may thin your blood for 72 hours.
- Avoid tanning so we can assess your natural skin tone.
- No face scrubs or chemical peels at least two weeks prior.
- Feel free to send in pictures with your make-up on so our artists can see your every day look you prefer. Reference pictures of shapes and colors are always welcomed.
- Do not wear make-up the day of your procedure.
- Schedule your appointment when you are not on your menstrual cycle as pain sensitivity is increased at this time.
- If you have anemia we recommend taking iron pills prior to and during healing as to limit absorption of the iron in the pigment causing excessive fading.
First and foremost look amazing! After your procedure you MUST follow these instructions:
- Make sure to apply a light layer of healing balm morning and night to brows for at least 5-7 days.
- Do not over apply healing balm.
- Do not immerse brow area in water for 14 days. When showering, make sure to avoid face area. When cleaning or washing face, make sure to avoid procedure area and clean around it.
- Do not work out! (I feel your pain, I’m sorry).
- Do not put makeup on the area for a minimum of 10 days. Using makeup may cause infections.
- Avoid alcohol and aspirin/ibuprofen and any vitamins that may thin your blood for 24 hours.
- The area will feel slightly itchy as it heals and will start to lightly scab over. Do not peel or pick at the scabs as this can affect the outcome and pigmentation.
- Do not go swimming, tanning or into saunas for at least 14 days.
- No face scrubs or chemical peels at least 2 weeks after.
PPL Studio artists take all proper precautions for a safe session by using sterilized equipment, new needles and we preform your session in a sanitized environment. Should clients follow our pre and post care instructions, there should be minimal risks or complications. Although allergic reactions to the pigments are rare, it could be possible for certain individuals. We suggest a pigment patch test for individuals who have high skin sensitivities or are sensitive to:
- Topical makeup products
- Gold, silver and nickel
- Hair dyes
Patch tests should be performed 5-7 days prior however, patch tests cannot guarantee a reaction to the pigments will not occur.
You are not alone, with all of the many horror stories floating around the media it is not surprising a little fear and anxiety exists. As with all cosmetic procedures, individuals should not make their choices lightly. We always recommend clients do their research, understand the procedure. Our artists will do their utmost to shape and style your brows, lips, or eyeliner to satisfaction prior to the procedure. Every effort will be made to achieve an even appearance, but please realize our faces are never perfectly symmetrical. Uneven appearance can be fixed during the touch up session. Pigment discoloration and color correction can also be fixed during the the touch up session.
Our primary goal is to enhance the look of our clients. We cannot do that efficiently if people schedule appointments then do not show up or reschedule in a timely fashion.
Therefore we have a STRICT CANCELLATION POLICY;
Clients are able to cancel or reschedule appointments at anytime with a minimum of 24 hours notice prior to the appointment time, otherwise a fee will be charged.
Less than 24 hours but greater than 12 hours prior to appointment will result in $50 fee.
Less than 12 hours prior to appointment will result in 50% of service price being charged.
No cancellation at all will result in full service price being charged.
To book a reservation, you must provide a valid credit card that is in your name. No charges will be made at time of booking. To cancel or reschedule, do so by selecting the ‘View Appointment Details’ button on your confirmation email to reschedule yourself online or call us. Confirmation of cancellation will be done by email or phone. We reserve the right to refuse service to clients who have cancellations or rescheduling of appointments 3 times in a row.